Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Withers Ranch to be a Farm

The first week in January, Marc and I found a farm in northern Maryland that pretty much has it all. 22 acres includes a fully remodelled house from the 1820's, three pastures, a barn, a garage, an old bank barn, a pond, and 6 acres of hay.We plan to move in early April. I am tentatively scheduling the Spring Shearing for the 31st of March - just depends on whether we have to actually fly in for the closing.

I am doing the bead show in Tucson the first weekend in February and the Stitches West the last weekend in February. I am scheduling some classes. If I don't have at least 3 people in them, I will cancel them, since my time is valuable. I will let you know when I will close my shop doors. I am going to sell some of the older fleeces at reduced rates, but I am not going to dump my fiber or my animals. I have a friend with a stock trailer and he says they will all fit.

I would like to find good homes for my three llamas, since they will no longer be needed as guardian animals. Let me know, if you know someone looking for llamas as guardians. Fillip, the male, has usable hair, Brillo has a lot of guard hair, and Emmy's is compost.

I am also looking for homes for the herd dogs. If I do not find takers, we will take them with us. They are very friendly and require attention, which I no longer have to give. The Great Pyrenees that I bought as guardian dogs are more in line with our new property.
I just got back from the Pasadena Bead and Design Show. Nuno felting was a hit. I came home with three dyed silks and some black. I really enjoyed teaching it and had some super students. I was too busy to take photos of their work, so I am hoping that they will share photos.

The shop is set back up in a slightly different style. I always try to find a different focal point, so you will see something different. I also plan to start listing my yarns on my etsy shop as I spin them. I will mainly be online once we move. I will be doing shows on the east coast, but I will fly back for the July Pasadena Bead show. I have made quite a few friends among the vendors. They are inspirational.


This batt was created from all of the leftover Merino Tussah silk and kid mohair from the nuno felting classes. It will be the next yarn I spin - after I coil the thick and thin yarn that I spun Sunday. A show is successful when I don't get a lot of spinning in! I sold 4 of the six skeins that I spun in Pasadena.





2 comments:

Monica said...

Hi Kathy! I'm sorry I didn't get to say goodbye! I'm so happy to see you on your new farm and read your blog.
It's gorgeous!
I hope to bump into you on the wool circuit.
I'll get in touch when I need fleeces etc.
If you come to Tucson, please let me know. I know my mom would like to say hello too!
I'm teaching a nuno class in Tubac and I have listed your site/blog on my resources list.
Please keep in touch. I'll keep reading your blog...is lovely. Warmly (literally!) Monica Durazo

Monica said...

Hi Kathy! I'm so surprised to find out you moved! What a gorgeous farm! and I love your blog. It's just lovely and a joy to read. I'm happy to hear you are on the fiber circuit.
I'm still pedaling my wares as well.
I am teaching a small nuno scarf class in Tubac in May and I have listed your farm on my "resources" list.
I wish you all the best on your new adventure! Keep in touch.
Monica Durazo