Friday, March 11, 2011

Unexpected Realities/Tucson Spring Shearing Festival

In half hour I am leaving for Las Vegas to take my Dad off life support. He has a triple by pass surgery almost 2 weeks ago and it did not go well. He chose me to be his representative, so it falls to me to do as he wished. I don't normally throw my life issues out for public review, but thought I would share where all of my energies have gone the last two weeks. I was out in Las Vegas last week and my dad had lost his will to fight. He is over 80 years old and I feel like he has a full life, so I have no regrets. He would have liked to live to 100 (wouldn't we all?), but it is not meant to be. Dealing with life or death issues with animals over the past 8 years has taught me that I am not God and that we need to be willing to let go.
My mind has been all over the place and so have my colors. I did get one supercoil listed on etsy.
Amongst death, there is the celebration of life. I have 8 black kids on the ground now and the reds will start delivering any time. I hate to leave it to Marc to deal with, but he has been getting lots of practice, so he will be fine. See, I am learning to trust that other people can handle it.

Ruby had twins last Friday late - which is unusual. I was expecting it, so I did go back out to check one last time. The second born was a doe and she took right to her. Since the buck did not get up since he was chilled and a butt first baby, she rejected him. I have held her so the buck could drink (he was one of the ones that I had to put on a heating pad before he would suck), but Ruby is really fighting him. I decided yesterday to get him on a bottle just in case he was not getting enough milk. He has become a bottle baby and is really friendly. He has great genes - black and silver with blue eyes. He is for sale, but don't call till after I get back - hopefully Monday. I check out all buyers to be sure there is a good fit. He will be less expensive, but not free or cheap.
Tucson Spring Shearing Festival 2011 in the 9th of April. If anyone is willing to help in any way - you don't even need to be a fiber person, please email me at jmarckathy@aol.com. People come and people go, and it seems like more have gone than come, so I am in need of volunteers. The festival has gotten too big for me to handle it by myself. A lot of the advertisement has gone out and I will try to finish next week, but from past experience, it is the word of mouth that has caused the festival to be so successful, so I am counting on you to pass on the word! Thanks!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, I hope that everything went as well as can be expected on your trip to Las Vegas, your dad obviously would be proud of you for making the right and kind descision. Your kids are BEAUTIFUL and I wish I was arriving in USA a little earlier so that I could volunteer for the spring shearing festival, I loved the Tuson area when I visited several years ago!!! Love from Nicola in Ireland!