Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Change of plans

Well, things never go quite as planned. A friend called early Saturday morning saying that one of her bucks was paralyzed from the neck down. The best guess is that he was taking on the much older buck. Anyhow, I spent the whole day depressed because this was one of the bucks that I had just sold her that has the awesome Texas hair.

On Sunday my friend calls me up to tell me that the buck seemed to be moving his body and trying to sit up. Since she works, I offered to keep him for the week, so I could see, if I could get him up and moving. Monday and Tuesday morning, I was ready to give up on him. He was sitting in a daze and he had to be bottle-fed and hand-fed. I was thrilled on Tuesday afternoon to see that he had moved from one side of the pen to another.

I came home from the Tucson Handweavers and Spinners Guild today to discover that he had made it out of his pen all of the way over to No Size's on. Of course, he was doing all of this by walking backwards and dragging his left front leg. A strange, but welcome sight. Not a small feat! I left him out to stand around with the does. In between raking and emptying the wheelbarrow, I would massage the leg that seems to be more sore than the other. I could not believe it when one of the does started nudging him and he started walking forward. He did not use his left foot very well, but he did use it, so there is hope after all. Of course, the doe kind of spoiled the moment by butting and knocking him to the ground. He got up quickly, so he is much improved. Maybe he will be walking normally tomorrow?

He still has no name, so we are calling him number three. That will have to change!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, the poor guy! Lucky he has you to take such good care.

Maggie's Farm said...

Could he possibly have meningeal worm? My goats are very susceptible to it, and I've lost a couple over the last few years. So sorry. It's awful to see them suffering like that.