Friday, April 6, 2012

Settling in

This is the view from the top of the largest pasture. Huge and gorgeously green!


Our new home is lovely. The exercise room, living room and kitchen are set up. My books have filled two book shelves in my studio and I still have several boxes of books to unpack.



The guys came today and assembled my loom, assembled all of the exercise equipment and took my carders out of the crates. The Elsa carder will require that the electricity to the red barn be restored. Our telephone is now on: 410-795-6070. Call, if you like. I have kept my cell 520-401-6117, but our reception is pitiful. We have bought a cell phone booster, so that problem will be fixed.


I thought I would share photos from the move.



Tor, his friend - Steve, and my son - Kyle ran panels to guide the animals to the truck. The first batch to be loaded were the Shetland sheep. Pearl is the one being shoved up the chute. Sometimes the lambs followed, but more often they had to be picked up and thrown in. The chute to the upper story of the stock trailer was a very efficient way to get the animals on. If they had had to be dragged individually, it would have taken forever. The farm equipment and the animals were loaded within three hours.



You can see the downstairs is layered with hay. The alpacas, Merinos and all of the males rode on this level. I did not catch a photo of Mounds being loaded, but it was funny. Between being so big and having a full fleece, Kyle had to pull her and Tor had to shove from the rear. I was afraid that she would not make it!

The does on the top level kept looking out. I expected them to jump, but none were that stupid.


Brazen just had to take a last taste of Palo Verde before saying goodbye to Arizona.


The process was reversed when they arrived in Maryland. The animals had gotten so used to being in the truck, that they had to be hauled out.


The alpacas and Merinos went straight onto pasture. The Shetlands and angora goats went into the barn since they were still pregnant or had small babies. Net week the pasture fences will receive a 3 foot tall stock fencing along the inside. These fences were designed for horses and would not keep any of the goats or smaller sheep in.


The red barn is my future shop. I usually crop out the solid areas like the green, but felt that it represented what I really wanted - the green stuff!








4 comments:

tonia said...

Looks wonderful!!!

Kristie said...

That house looks so awesome! I can't wait to come see it!

Unknown said...

Kathy:
I am so happy for you! Your new home looks splendid....and so very green! Have fun in the new digs.

woolies said...

hi Kathy - your new farm is gorgeous. Sorry about the babies. I'm jealous of your pasture. Just paid $20.95 for a bale of Bermuda hay. Sheesh.