Sunday, October 26, 2008

Before and after the festival

Danny and his wife stayed an extra day, so we could get the rest of the goats sheared. I added some Shetland sheep to the shearing, since their wool looked so long. Good thing I did. The ram in the far out pasture had wool over 5 inches long. It will be interesting to see how quickly their wool grows back.
I am surprised at how few people bought any of the shearer and his wife's fleeces. I have a hard time selling raw fleeces, but theirs were priced a lot lower than mine would be, because they have a pasture. Spinners missed a good deal. I bought all of the Romney, Merino, Shetland, and the crosses thereof, since I know that they are gorgeous once washed. I passed on the Lincoln and the Icelandic, since they are coarse.
Some interesting statistics from the fiber part of the festival:
Mohair:
35 kids were sheared for a total of 152 pounds
lowest weight of a kid fleece: 2.87 pounds
highest weight of a kid fleece: 5.88 pounds
yearling fleeces added up to 60.88 pounds
adult fleeces added up to 64.59 pounds
Wool:
from adults and lambs: 38.24 pounds
lamb fleeces: 1.29-3.44 pounds
Total weight of all fleeces: 315 pounds
Agave's mother, a yearling had a fleece of 10.72 pounds - and it is like a kid fleece. Too cool!
The heaviest was a white fleece at 11.92 pounds.
Yesterday morning I put Cadbury out for visitors to see. The does that were loose were interested in him, but even more so in his food.
Agave and Cadbury got nose to nose a few times.
Agave before shearing was hanging out with Joshua yesterday morning. I got his head out of the fence after I fed everyone else. He does this routinely, so this morning I decided to leave him there while I fed and watered everyone else. He was hungry enough to get his own head out this morning. No more rescues for him. Hard to believe that he keeps doing it.




No comments: