Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Another one

Found this guy in a pen with three of my goats just now. He started moving, so I tracked him, while I called one of my neighbors, who had promised to come get any that I did not want. Since he was in the same pen where the 5 day old kid was killed earlier this year, I suspect that it was the same one.
He was great at camouflage and too big for me to mess with on my own.
My neighbor arrived with a long metal pole with a string threaded through it. One end was attached to the pole and the other end had a loop. After a few tries, he managed to get the snake's head in the loop and then he put it in a bucket with a lid. He took it home to let loose on his acreage. The goats did not even seem aware that it was there and they were too close. I am glad to see the last of it. Now I am too nervous to settle to spinning. That snake has probably been in and out of those pens a lot and I could have lost more goats and sheep, because that area is one of the coolest during the day. Ignorance is bliss!

Anyhow, if you are in the desert, keep your eyes peeled! You don't know what you might be missing. Notice, that I did not say that it would be something good!

No comments: