Thursday, July 12, 2007

Competition over for Kristie

Kristie played the second stage beautifully. She did not make it to the third, so I went to Wooly Knobs Fiber Mill yesterday and checked out their setup. I am really glad that there are people like them willing to do the drudgery of washing and carding loads of fiber. I had been toying with the idea of eventually buying a cottage industry size carder. After seeing the amount of work involved, I think I am definitely on the spinning side. I can't see myself doing nothing but washing and carding other people's fiber, most of which is just black, white, brown or combinations thereof. I NEED color!

Jamie and Matt were very welcoming and gave me a bag of alpaca/Shetland to play with. Got a few ideas for felting that will be very useful, if I get to teach at the Fibers through Time next April. Now I need to send them a care package with yarn. It won't be a "coals to Newcastle" either.

I heard back from Taos, and I made it into the Pluckyfluf workshop in October. I have been spinning more novelty yarns, checking out knitters' interest, and I think it will be loads of fun to see first hand how she gets her ideas.

You can google the Wooly Knob Fiber Mill and Pluckfluf to see more.

I will be back Saturday evening. You are welcome to call my cell while I am gone: 520-401-6117. I am not in the competition arena any more, so I will be able to answer.

No comments: